Friday, May 24, 2013

A new craft

So on one of my favorite forums, as well as one of my absolute favorite miniature blogs, there's been talk of using punch needle to make miniature rugs. I've never done punch needle before, but it sounded like a really neat idea and I was instantly intrigued.

I went to a local needlework store for supplies (although I later found needle punch supplies at my local craft store for much cheaper) and dug out some of floss from my old cross stitch stash and drew up a pattern for a practice rug. My taste runs a little more modern, and most of the available patterns seem to be other styles, so I made a simple pattern using Word and then traced it onto the cloth. (pay no attention to those messy thread ends)


Then I watched a few YouTube videos and I was off. I was very surprised at how quick it goes! It takes a bit of time to get used to using the needle, but it is a relatively easy craft and goes really quickly. I did this portion in about 2 hours.


I can't wait to see the entire thing.

I'm hoping to get some work done on the Fling over this extended holiday weekend, so hopefully on Tuesday I'll have some pictures to show you.

Happy Friday, y'all!

10 comments:

  1. I love your pattern and colors! I am very glad that you have been inspired to try punchneedle punching@

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Shelly!! It's definitely fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're off to a great start on a great design! I think modern lends itself especially well to punchneedle - big, plush rugs. I have a modern mini rug I made awhile back in needlepoint that just never satisfied me. I think it'll be up for a redo. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks fanastic!! I really am going to have to get one of those needles the next time I'm out. It looks relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hex pattern is very cool and I really like the colors you're using. You tube is the best for craft tutorials :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice pattern! And I'm enjoying your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I looked at the supplies at JoAnne's yesterday. I almost put stuff in my cart but decided I'd wait until I had time to make a rug.

    Your design and color choices are great, it's going to look fantastic when you're finished.

    I wonder how many Spring Flings will have punchneedle rugs this year....

    ReplyDelete
  8. The trend does seem to be catching, so I bet we'll see some beautiful rugs in Flings this year. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, looks wonderful! I can't wait to see it when it's completed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks nice, can't wait to see i is finished!

    ReplyDelete