Monday, June 17, 2013

Wainscoting, pt 1

Pinterest has been my best friend lately, especially in the planning of what I'm going to do with my Fling. It has almost replaced Google for me, at least craft and project wise.

I wanted to do something with wainscoting in the living room/dining room area, so I started searching for some neat, yet modern ideas that I could use. I was smitten when I saw this one. (photo courtesy of Wainscot Solutions)


I immediately got out some graph paper and started to play with measurements so that I could get 2 full pattern repeats on the wall, yet still be sized to use the Skinny Sticks that I was anticipating using. After a couple of tries, I finally came up with the perfectly sized pattern.


 I cut my initial pattern pieces from Skinny Sticks and then cut them using the Easy Cutter. Incidentally, it was my first time using the Easy Cutter, and I don't want to speak for It, but I think we're going to have a nice little relationship.

 
I laid a piece of wax paper over my graphed pattern and stapled it, making sure it didn't slide.
 
 
 
I started to lay out all of the pieces, using wood glue to put them together. It went relatively quickly, although making sure they were all level and square took some fiddlin'. I then laid a piece of wax paper over it and set a few books on top to make sure it was completely flat.
 
Here it is in all of it's glory. Some of the glue is still a teeny bit wet as you can see at some of the junctions, but other than that, I'm rather satisfied with it.
 
 
So there you go! This will be white on white, just like the picture, and then paired with the most gorgeous wallpaper (aka. scrapbooking paper).
 
Now I'm off to make the second part. Happy Monday!



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for showing me how to do this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I love the way it's worked out so far and looking forward to seeing the wallpaper you are pairing it will.

    ReplyDelete